The most important priority of your website should be lead generation. Your website should be building a list of subscribers for you so that you can follow up with them later on and sell more stuff.
In this post I am just going to quickly go over some strategies that you can implement to get more leads from your content sites.
Content authority sites are great lead generation machines because you get organic free traffic and there is nothing better than search traffic 🙂 What’s really cool about content sites is that you get to build your list for free and you don’t need any joint venture partners. All you have to worry about is putting out quality content on your site and offpage SEO.
When your website starts getting organic free traffic you need to start capturing those leads. It’s very important because once you own a big list, you own the traffic source.
First of all you want to sign up for a good autoresponder service. I recommend Aweber because their deliverability rate is very high. There are other services out there that are great as well so choose the right one for you.
The next thing you want to do is create a lead magnet. Lead magnet is something you can give away for free on your website in exchange for the visitor’s name and email address. It should be high quality piece of content or something of great value (coupons, discounts, software, free reports, ebooks, videos etc.)
You want to make sure your lead form is visible so that your visitors can easily spot it in your website and fill it out.
You probably noticed that on my blog here I also use a popup. These kinds of popups are very effective and will greatly increase your optin rates. I use a WordPress plugin called Popup Domination for that.
There are also WordPress plugins out there that will allow you to capture name and email addresses from people who comment on your blogs. I have used them before and they do work very well.
Here are some of the best strategies to get people on your list
1. Create web based tools that require people to optin in order to use them –This is a very cool method and you could build a massive list with just this one strategy. If your tool provides a lot of value the word could spread and it could go viral on its own. People will bookmark it, share it, and post about it on their blogs.
2. Run contests on your website – Not many people use this strategy but it’s also a great method to get your visitors engaged and sign up to your list. You want to make them optin in order to be included in your contest.
3. Create premium membership area – You could publish premium content that is not available on your site and in order to access it they will need to sign up to become a member. If you are charging for it you could run an affiliate program so you can leverage your affiliates’ efforts.
4. Run a free service on your website – For example allowing people to publish articles on your site, or connecting service providers with people who need them under a secure member’s area.
5. Create squeeze pages and link to them within your content – This method is super cool and I like using it a lot on some of my sites. You basically create a page with some headline and benefits and then link to it by hyperlinking a keyword phrase within your content. This strategy works like crazy if your site is getting a lot of traffic plus conversions are very high, because the visitor who clicks on that link is engaged in your content, and most likely going to optin after going to the squeeze page.
Those 5 lead generation methods are great and you should use them on your content sites. List building is the most important factor for any online business. It should be your highest priority to capture your visitors’ name and email addresses so that you can become an independent traffic source.
When you own a big list in a profitable market you can totally take your online business to a whole new level and generate a lot more money. The possibilities are endless when you own your traffic source.